Tuesday, April 10

She Wasn't Asking For It!


Not wanting to sound like a prude, but I do see a little sense into not flashing all of your body every day in front of people. Not because I think it is wrong, or that women should be covered, but because (SADLY), we live in a country where today, half of the rape cases never even see the light of the day. The rape victims undergo so much torture, add to that the insensitivity of the media, the local police and the general public!
But really, is the victim always to blame?

Doesn't this make you mad? SHE WAS EIGHT DAYS OLD, EIGHT!!!
Did she ask for this? Thankfully, this took place in the United States, and the person guilty, David, is being charged of rape and second degree battery. I hope he does get what he deserves!

Was she asking for it????!

At this age, children are supposed to be playing, carefree, enjoying their childhood, and this poor girl was raped! The police arrested the accused, but think of the girl. It is said that when children are raped, because of their young age and their growing bodies, they can sustain a lot of internal injuries. Her parents live in slums, it is not like they would be able to provide her with high facilities for recuperation. I don't know why people do this :( She's a baby!!

Oh God, reading this, doesn't this make you cry?
It makes me genuinely value my childhood. That *touches wood* , nothing like this happened to me.

I agree that now-a-days, a lot of females dress like nobody's watching but if we really are to call ourselves a progressive nations, this is one of the things that we have to deal with!

 

But the police cannot use this point against us. They are employed to serve us and to ensure justice prevails. If I am raped, irrespective of my sexual history, clothing sense and occupation, I deserve to be heard and attended to. I deserve my culprits being caught. I deserve them being punished. 

NO ONE DESERVES IT!
How sick?!

Girls need to be educated from early on, because as we all know, there really is no limit to the atrocities by some mad men. No one is spared and no one can be trusted.
Fathers rape their daughters, relatives rape the females, teachers rape and molest the students.. so in the end, the parents, the teachers, they need to teach the boys and girls (boys get raped too), about proper and improper touch. Everyone should be educated regarding what is appropriate and what is not.


My brother's friend has a sister who is studying in first grade. So she must be around 6-7 years old. One day, she came and tells her brother about this one boy in her class. The boy was rubbing his hand on her back and he told her, if you let me touch you, I'll give you my pencil and chocolates.
=O WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?
When I came to know of this, my jaw literally dropped to the floor. We are talking about 6-7 year olds here! This was when we just used to care about playing and making friends and cartoons.
One of the major changes we need in schools is : counselling. All schools are supposed to have a residential or a visiting counselor and I'm sure most of them do, on paper. Sometimes people are scared to come forward, of being judged, they go into the whole "why me? I only must've done something wrong." but if a professional helps them, at the initial stages, it can prevent the shame and stigma that the victims may carry for years.


In India, people are still very hush-hush about learning disorders, about mental retardation, and of course, about sexual abuse and rape.
We need to understand that bad things happen. But it is on us, our parents and our family to help us and bring us up. If I am depressed, someone can alert the teacher, or message my mother. If you notice your friend avoiding meals, throwing up after eating the smallest of things, approach some authority, it could be a fatal eating disorder!
Anorexia, Dyslexia, Depression, Bulimia, Cutting, Being molested or raped, being physically abused can batter your soul. But there are people who can help you. People who have dedicated their lives so they can help correct lives, help you get back on track. If you have problems approaching your parents, contact some 3rd party, a professional might just be able to help you out!

Coming back to the topic on hand, RAPE IS NEVER THE VICTIM'S FAULT!
Even if she is wearing short clothes, that does not mean she is asking for it. If your mind churns out thoughts that way, then you need to see a psychologist.
Rome was not built in a day..Or is it a night? =S
Overnight, the whole mindset of people and society can not change. But we can try altering things, little by little. This series of posts is my drop into the ocean.
Tell your friends, talk to your younger siblings, talk to your parents, even if you explain it to one person, that can create a big difference. So do your bit!


This was my #4 and final post for the Stayfree Advanced 'Time To Change' contest hosted on IndiBlogger.
(You can read #1 here, #2 here and #3 here.)
-Blahblaholic x

8 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe.. but it's happening. Violence, drugs. Our children are growing up faster than we ever thought about growing up.. It's a shame. All we can do is try try our hardest to protect them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's sad but that's the stark reality :(
      Thanks for commenting <3

      Delete
  2. So sad, words become much less powerful when we even try speaking about such things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hardhitting post.... all this can change when people change their mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many people get away with rape because the victim's family and friends want to hush up the entire episode. Even if they do complain, the Indian police try not to report it. You've seen how they blame the victim. Also, people with influence and wealth can help their "friends" get away with anything. Till everyone is equal in the eyes of the law, I don't see much hope of curbing this evil. If more of us than ever before could give one or two hours a week to our favourite cause through NGOs or IAC, much more could be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly my point!
      I know, and I'm trying and will continue to do my bit, in whatever way I can!
      Thank you for commenting :] x

      Delete

Thank you for reading through. Prove that you were here, and leave a comment! Coz they make me smile :) Criticism/praise/anything except spam and abuse will be published! <3 xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...